PDA

View Full Version : 44 Years Ago - from Three Decades of Excellence -- by Ed Kolpack

CaBisonFan
09-29-2012, 06:10 AM
From 'Three Decades of Excellence' by Ed Kolpack -- from the chapter entitled 1968

Erhardt had no problem lighting a fire under the Herd for the next game. Northern Iowa, which dealt the NDSU coach his only conference loss in three seasons, was waiting in Cedar Falls.

The Panthers embarrassed the Bison 41-14 two years earlier after San Diego State dealt North Dakota State its first loss of the season.

Stan Sheriff, veteran UNI coach, said the Bison reminded him of his 1964 team.

"I don't care what you say about the pro set and a wide open game," Sheriff said before the Bison game. "Give me a team that can move the ball on the ground. If our 1964 team passed more than 10 times a game you could figure we were in trouble. Now, you've got a boy who can pass (Grasamke -- Bison QB), but your ground game makes his passing effective."

The Herd also had Tim Mjos, who did not play a week earlier because of a knee injury. He carried 30 times for 134 yards and scored one touchdown in the 31-15 win.

Paul Hatchett scored twice after Northern Iowa took a 7-0 lead on Phil Schooley's TD pass. His first TD came on a 1-yard burst after Grasamke hit Roller on a 22-yard screen pass to keep the 61-yard drive going. Hatchett slipped two tackles to score from the 10 to make it 14-7.

Blazei's field goal in the third quarter pushed the lead to 17-7. Mjos went over from the 1 early in the fourth period. The clinching touchdown was Hyland's fumble recovery in the UNI end zone.

The Bison defense had its problems, giving up 300 yards, including 199 on 21-of-36 passing by Schooley.

Erhardt liked everything else about his team's eighth straight victory.

"It was one of our top performances this year," said the NDSU coach. "We feel that 31 points was a good effort. No one has scored that many points against them this season. And they've always been tough defensively.

"Our power sweeps didn't work too well. I think we wore them down--17 first downs rushing isn't too bad. The thing I liked is we didn't panic after they scored that first touchdown."

Erhardt took umbrage when Sheriff suggested the Bison had luck on their side.

"Luck doesn't happen unless someone is doing something," said Erhardt. "They didn't just give us the ball on those fumbles (UNI lost four). Breaks are made and they go both ways."

Winning the third undisputed conference title in four years was greeted with less than enthusiasm by Bison fans in Fargo. The charter plane which landed at Hector Field at 6:45 pm was met by wives of some players and coaches, and four adult boosters.

Mankato State stood in the way of North Dakota State realizing its second goal -- an undefeated, untied season. It was a no contest as the Bison won 63-8. Hatchett put on a show, ripping the Mankato defense for a school-record five touchdowns. He rushed 18 times for 178 yards to set four more school marks -- 1,213 yards, 190 carries, 19 touchdowns and 114 points.

(end)

Things haven't really changed that much when it involves NDSU and UNI. It's a historic rivalry. We had a similar type of rivalry with Montana, Montana State, and Northern Michigan.

OK...was anyone from bisonville at this game?

JustinTyem
09-29-2012, 06:36 AM
Thats awesome,great readings!!!!

Putz
09-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the history. Good way to start out a gameday!

HerdBot
09-29-2012, 04:36 PM
That's some good stuff Gordon! I've been trying to find that book

Hammerhead
09-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Good stuff. I wasn't there since I was just a few months old at the time.

CaBisonFan
09-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Good stuff. I wasn't there since I was just a few months old at the time.

And I thought you were a true Bison fan.

Rynomite
09-30-2012, 06:08 AM
Awesome posting! Thanks!