PDA

View Full Version : DI-A

JBB
12-13-2004, 11:40 PM
There is no doubt in my mind now, NDSU should move football to DI-A.

Bisonguy
12-13-2004, 11:48 PM
If Montana and/or Montana State moves out of the Big Sky, I wouldn't mind seeing NDSU follow.

JBB
12-13-2004, 11:53 PM
If we are going to play as independents I dont think what the Montana schools do has anything at all to do with us, unless they want to schedule. *We will make a lot more money in DI-A. Follow the model of the Idaho schools.

JACKGUYII
12-13-2004, 11:56 PM
I think there is a real good chance Montana and maybe Montana State will move up to DIA and maybe sooner than later. If so would we really want to be part of the Big Sky at that point?

Bisonguy
12-14-2004, 12:02 AM
NO.

WYOBISONMAN
12-14-2004, 12:10 AM
DI-A maybe a more viable option at this time. However, I think the Fargodome maybe too small.... :-/

Bisonfan01234
12-14-2004, 12:13 AM
We only have to average 15k to be in DIA.

But I think that might be a move only if NDSU gets a bunch of DIAA national championships.

Bisonguy
12-14-2004, 12:15 AM
We only have to average 15k to be in DIA.

But I think that might be a move only if NDSU gets a bunch of DIAA national championships.

How many I-AA championships did Troy State win?

Bisonfan01234
12-14-2004, 12:30 AM
How many I-AA championships did Troy State win?

How many eqs. have now that they're DIA? How many DIA wins do they have?

JBB
12-14-2004, 12:40 AM
It really doesnt matter how many games they won. They played them all. NDSU can easily make the jump. We are going to outgrow the Fabublous Fargo Dome anyway, it will happen faster as a DI-A independent.

Bisonguy
12-14-2004, 12:44 AM
How many eqs. have now that they're DIA? How many DIA wins do they have?

Okay, NDSU should win one I-AA championship and then jump to I-A just like Boise State.

BisBison
12-14-2004, 12:47 AM
I hope all you on this thread calling for a move to D-IA are in the "Cornerstone of Division I" already, if not give Erv Innegar a call. I'm sure he'll know how to sign you up.

JBB
12-14-2004, 12:56 AM
Our situation is a little different than Boise States. We arent going to get the gift of a conference auto bid, our move will be more like Troy States.

Bisonfan01234
12-14-2004, 01:04 AM
We also don't have the owners of Dell Computers and Micron Electronics backing us, either.

I simply don't understand your mind JBB.

Because we failed to gain a conference at one level means we should simply jump up to the next level?

And when we aren't able to gain any conference at DIA? Should we make our own division?

Gamehunter
12-14-2004, 05:13 AM
I think we should skip D1A altogether and go straight to the NFL, I mean come on, how could some little sissy team like the gators stand up to the mighty Herd? We need REAL competition.

Rodentia
12-14-2004, 07:12 PM
As a Gopher fan, I would welcome NDSU to I-A. That way Gophers vs. the Bison could be a regular football matchup. It would be a matter coming up with extra $$$ for scholarships, and getting attendance up to NCAA standard.

This is certainally possible, should TPTB (The Powers that Be) make such a choice. It's probably unlikely though.

mikelsch
12-14-2004, 07:22 PM
If we could get into the WAC, then the idea of I-A isn't so far fetched. Otherwise, it makes no sense. Hell, if Wyoming and Idaho can be I-A, NDSU sure could be.

Bisonfan01234
12-14-2004, 07:23 PM
Wyoming and Idaho are posers.

mikelsch
12-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Agreed. We could easily surpass them in that conference.

JBB
12-14-2004, 07:35 PM
As a Gopher fan, I would welcome NDSU to I-A. *That way Gophers vs. the Bison could be a regular football matchup. * It would be a matter coming up with extra $$$ for scholarships, and getting attendance up to NCAA standard.

This is certainally possible, should TPTB (The Powers that Be) make such a choice. *It's probably unlikely though.

It is being talked about, and I believe it is the long term plan to play DI-A football at NDSU. *I think the program, although more expensive, would support itself in Fargo. We would have to plan on a larger stadium, but we should be thinking about that anyway. *

A full slate of Big 10, Big 12 and Mountain West Confrence Foes would be a big draw. *The Mountain West is small by DI-A standards and might provide membership opportunity.

Utah * * *
New Mexico * * *
BYU * * *
Wyoming * * *
Air Force * * *
Colorado St. * * *
San Diego St. * * *
UNLV

But hey, we have hardly even started on the DI adventure. Its only our first year. After we finish the transition we will be a lot better off and other schools like SUU have been independents for a while. We can make it especially if we get together with the other independants in DI BB.

Bisonfan01234
12-14-2004, 08:09 PM
I think I'd rather do something like a new conference of teams around the 20-25 avg. attendance mark, assuming NDSU can avg. 18k some day.

The_Sicatoka
12-14-2004, 09:15 PM
I think we should skip D1A altogether and go straight to the NFL, I mean come on, how could some little sissy team like the gators stand up to the mighty Herd? *We need REAL competition.

Clearly, because he's afraid of the competition, this is why Red McCombs has been making "Los Angeles Vikings" noises again. ;)

somebison
12-14-2004, 09:21 PM
a year and a half between posts here TS- that's impressive ;D

Bisonfan01234
12-14-2004, 09:29 PM
Clearly, because he's afraid of the competition, this is why Red McCombs has been making "Los Angeles Vikings" noises again. ;)

You mean San Antonio.

Bisonguy
12-14-2004, 09:33 PM
The administration has hinted that a move to DI-A is not out of the picture.

Currently, I would not be in favor of such a move, but who knows what the future might bring? Maybe the BCS schools branch off, and the rest of I-A and the upper end of I-AA form the new I-A.

It's nice knowing NDSU is not always satisfied with the status quo, even if it's still a probationary member of the status quo. ;D

NDSU_grad
12-14-2004, 10:33 PM
I'm in the same boat as Bisonguy. The I-A talk seems to be a knee-jerk response to yesterday's news. It's possible I-A might be the future for the Bison, but we what we need to for the immediate future is find a conference for all sports.

Bisonguy
12-14-2004, 10:49 PM
I'm in the same boat as Bisonguy. *The I-A talk seems to be a knee-jerk response to yesterday's news. *It's possible I-A might be the future for the Bison, but we what we need to for the immediate future is find a conference for all sports.

Most of this conversation is knee-jerk, however, Bohl, Chapman, and Taylor have all mentioned that I-A could be a possiblity in the future.

JBB
12-14-2004, 11:37 PM
and Dont forget JBB! * ;D *

If it makes the most sense then we should do it. *If finding a conference for all of our teams required us to move football to DIA, would that be worth it? * ???

Bisonfan01234
12-14-2004, 11:40 PM
No damn way.

Football is our flagship, not our sacrificial lamb.

It's also our bread winner.

If we were SDSU, the story might be different.

realisttoo
12-15-2004, 12:59 AM
If your not thinking Big 10, your aiming too low. If I were you, I would thumb my nose at the Mid-Con too. With all the other conferences clamoring for your willingness to grace them with your membership, you can afford to be choosy. You guys would have been the ones on the Titanic saying, "no, that life boat is too big for me."

Swaghook
12-15-2004, 01:04 AM
MVC is the confrence we should be looking to and stay with the GWFC for football.

JBB
12-15-2004, 04:15 PM
If your not thinking Big 10, your aiming too low. *If I were you, I would thumb my nose at the Mid-Con too. *With all the other conferences clamoring for your willingness to grace them with your membership, you can afford to be choosy. *You guys would have been the ones on the Titanic saying, "no, that life boat is too big for me."

Say what you will, but you dont even seem to have the ways or the means to get on the ship. This will be resolved, how remains to be seen. The Full conference DI-A alternative is a long shot for sure, but I think its a possiblility.

Big_BisonFan
12-15-2004, 04:47 PM
I think the D-IA move is inevitable, not for a few years, but none the less inevitable. Look at Troy State. Although there are many differences between the two schools: size, location, etc. There is one over riding similarity, football success. They beat us in 1984 for the D-II championship, and then proceeded to move to DI-AA and have tons of success in their first years there. Then in 1998, they decided there were bigger fish to fry and made the move to DI-A.

We don't know what the future holds as far as success in DI-AA football, but if this year and last year are any indication, I have a feeling our time in DI-AA will look similar to that of Troy State.

I would caution any nay-sayers about DI-A. The move to DI-AA wasn't the end of the progression for NDSU. Maybe not right away, but in the next 10-20 years.

Bisonfan01234
12-15-2004, 05:08 PM
In 2015 if NDSU wants to make the jump with UMT, MTSU, and ISU to join Idaho, Wyoming, etc. sure.

Let's just make sure we have a couple DIAA titles under our belts.

JBB
12-15-2004, 05:23 PM
DI-AA titles dont mean a thing. *Its a lot like the argument against our move out of DII. *If we move to DI-A as fast as Troy State we wont even be playoff eligable before we move up. *

The big thing is community support. *That means a new stadium, probably an outdoor with 25-30,000 capacity. *There is no doubt in my mind that stadium will be built, probably in the next 10 yrs or so. *The Fabulous Fargo Dome is fixed in size and outgrowing it is inevitable.

25-30,000 is a minimum size for DI-A but would be large enough to bring in Big 10 and Big 12 teams. *

Bisonfan01234
12-15-2004, 05:29 PM
The things you're talking about, JBB, I too think will happen in the future.

Just how far into the future is where you deviate from reality.

We "only" averaged 13k/game this season in a dome that seats 18.7k.

Once we're consistantly averaging 18.7k with thousands more fans complaning that they can't get tickets, THEN think about a new stadium.

But even if we win 3 IAA titles in a row, I don't see that happening.

JACKGUYII
12-15-2004, 05:30 PM
DIAA titles are not a prerequisite for going to DIA!

Bisonfan01234
12-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Of course not, fan support is.

missingnumber7
12-15-2004, 06:06 PM
The things you're talking about, JBB, I too think will happen in the future.

Just how far into the future is where you deviate from reality.

We "only" averaged 13k/game this season in a dome that seats 18.7k.

Once we're consistantly averaging 18.7k with thousands more fans complaning that they can't get tickets, THEN think about a new stadium.

But even if we win 3 IAA titles in a row, I don't see that happening.
That won't happen in Fargo. The only game that has 'sold out' since i've been here and that is legitimately sold out is the bison/souix game. After one loss the attendance takes a rapid drop. There are just to many other things people would rather do, students included. When we get ticketholders screaming because there are so many students that their seats have students in them then maybe we can worry about moving up, but until then, we should be happy to be in 1aa.

Bisonfan01234
12-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Well said and exactly right, 7.

The fair weather fans in Fargo simply won't accept any losses.

Rodentia
12-15-2004, 07:21 PM
NDSU could be quite competitive in the MAC, but probably wouldn't be a good geographical match.

Sac_State
12-15-2004, 07:53 PM
NDSU could be quite competitive in the MAC, but probably wouldn't be a good geographical match.

How's that?

Buffalo, Ohio(s), N. Illinois, etc. are no further East than Sac, PSU, NAU going West.

The MAC doesn't fit geographically, but the Sky does? ???

IowaBison
12-15-2004, 08:04 PM
the MAC is much more compact and FULL

Rodentia
12-15-2004, 08:17 PM
What I mean is that the MAC would consider NDSU too far away to be a candidate. The MAC is quite full, yes, it's probably also a bit overful. But NDSU could probably be competitive in the MAC right now. Not a top team, but competitive. (The bottom of the MAC is pretty bad)

Bisonfan01234
12-15-2004, 08:38 PM
How's that?

Buffalo, Ohio(s), N. Illinois, etc. are no further East than Sac, PSU, NAU going West.

Except that SSU and PSU are the exceptions in the sky, not the standards.

Sac_State
12-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Exceptions? PSU beat UM this year. Sac has owned UM in other sports.

Climb out of your ass, it's daylight outside.

BisonCountry
12-15-2004, 08:58 PM
How's that?

Do happen to know how many conference games Sac-State buses vs. flys to?

Sac to Portland - 580 miles
Sac to Ogden - 680 miles
Sac to Missoula - 1060 miles
Sac to Bozeman - 950 miles
Sac to Pocatello - 700 miles
Sac to Flagstaff - 766 miles
Sac to Cheney - 920 miles

Sac to Greeley - 1160 miles (Possible Conf. Member)

Bisonfan01234
12-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Exceptions? PSU beat UM this year. Sac has owned UM in other sports.

Climb out of your ass, it's daylight outside.

Why does every post of yours have the following format: irrelevent info followed by generic one liner?

What does win/losses have to do with the distance of the teams from each other you fucking moron?

Admin: this kind of stuff isn't going to be tolerated.

Swaghook
12-15-2004, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't want to go I-A unless they start having real play offs.

Gamehunter
12-15-2004, 11:28 PM
AMEN!

BisBison
12-16-2004, 12:58 AM
AMEN!!

Tatanka
12-16-2004, 01:08 AM
++, ++, and ++

JBB
12-16-2004, 01:48 AM
Ah, the comforting words of Dr. Champman. There is a great article on www.Bisonzone.com right now. Essentially Dr. Chapman says we are only six months into this and there is no reason to be concerned. We havent been ruled out.

thats the Key to the DI-A issue as well. I dont know how long it will take, but I think its going to go faster than a lot of people think. We havent even played a full season in all sports yet. If it goes slow maybe 20 yrs, if it goes fast 5. Of course, i realize it might not go at all, but I hope it does.