Page 1370 of 1375 FirstFirst ... 37087012701320136013681369137013711372 ... LastLast
Results 13,691 to 13,700 of 13742

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    That one..I do think something along those lines will occur..However, I do not see this as a death sentence for FCS or G5 level FBS.
    Agreed. It will be good for the G5 to have this delineation because of the self acceptance that comes with it, and FCS will become even more solidified as the 3rd level of D1 CFB. It will be good for some of NDSU's fanbase to realize that the P4 aren't going anywhere wrt to the NCAA, since they've been fed this 'split' for a long time

This needs to happen and NDSU needs to be in the G5...that's where they belong.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

this move is 1000% necessary but it requires real leadership with real vision.

i'll just leave it at that.
    UNGOVERNABLE

IMO, NDSU should sue the NCAA for Antitrust reasons. Existing rules purposely reduce competition and help to keep P5 buy game, cfp, and media payouts high. The FBS schools have made it nearly impossible for NDSU, and legit MVFC and Big Sky programs from moving up, because they do not want the competition for TV time slots or Bowl games, either.
    Pretty open and shut case, IMO. The rule that schools need an invite from an FBS conference to move up is completely arbitrary and anticompetitive.
    Should sue for loss of revenue - locked out of CFP money, bowl rev, ea sports video game publicity etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post
    IMO, NDSU should sue the NCAA for Antitrust reasons. Existing rules purposely reduce competition and help to keep P5 buy game, cfp, and media payouts high. The FBS schools have made it nearly impossible for NDSU, and legit MVFC and Big Sky programs from moving up, because they do not want the competition for TV time slots or Bowl games, either.
    Pretty open and shut case, IMO. The rule that schools need an invite from an FBS conference to move up is completely arbitrary and anticompetitive.
    Should sue for loss of revenue - locked out of CFP money, bowl rev, ea sports video game publicity etc.
    If you don't have an invitation from a conference to move up, are you moving up to be an independent? Are you talking about the MVFC or the Big Sky declaring themselves to be a FBS Conference as a whole?

If you don't have an invitation from a conference to move up, are you moving up to be an independent? Are you talking about the MVFC or the Big Sky declaring themselves to be a FBS Conference as a whole?
    All or any the above, really, because there isn't an application process for a league to move up. There isn't technically a path to submit an application for FBS independence either, as far as I am aware. I guess my point is that the rules were created specifically as a restraint of trade, and to prevent competition from the FCS class. The conference invite requirement benefits existing FBS conferences who were already in the FBS club. The MVFC is about as competitive as CUSA or the MAC, yet Missouri State had to leave the MVC/MVFC in order to make the move? Is that really reasonable? CUSA was able to pluck a new program from the MVC/MVFC solely because of the rules for FBS transition. The MAC certainly benefits by not having a G5 competitor - they have a tough enough time as it is recruiting against MVFC schools. Literally, the only reason the MVFC and Big Sky aren't allowed to move up is because the G5 don't want the competition when it comes to recruits, and less P5 programs = greater CFP and money game payouts. Simple supply and demand.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Liberty proved you don't actually need a conference invite to go FBS. NDSU filing a lawsuit is a waste of time and money unless we try the same and are denied. Liberty has the money to be indy, NDSU doesn't. It'd be pants on head insane for us to go indy, no matter how much some people here want FBS at any cost. Conferences are private organizations and there's no court in the nation that'll force them to accept some random applicant.

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post
    All or any the above, really, because there isn't an application process for a league to move up. There isn't technically a path to submit an application for FBS independence either, as far as I am aware. I guess my point is that the rules were created specifically as a restraint of trade, and to prevent competition from the FCS class. The conference invite requirement benefits existing FBS conferences who were already in the FBS club. The MVFC is about as competitive as CUSA or the MAC, yet Missouri State had to leave the MVC/MVFC in order to make the move? Is that really reasonable? CUSA was able to pluck a new program from the MVC/MVFC solely because of the rules for FBS transition. The MAC certainly benefits by not having a G5 competitor - they have a tough enough time as it is recruiting against MVFC schools. Literally, the only reason the MVFC and Big Sky aren't allowed to move up is because the G5 don't want the competition when it comes to recruits, and less P5 programs = greater CFP and money game payouts. Simple supply and demand.
    There has been a number of FCS schools move up to G5..All but Liberty were invited into existing conferences. I am not seeing that as a restraint of trade action. I don't think the MVFC or the Big Sky want to all move up at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Liberty proved you don't actually need a conference invite to go FBS. NDSU filing a lawsuit is a waste of time and money unless we try the same and are denied. Liberty has the money to be indy, NDSU doesn't. It'd be pants on head insane for us to go indy, no matter how much some people here want FBS at any cost. Conferences are private organizations and there's no court in the nation that'll force them to accept some random applicant.
    But Liberty had the coffers to get teams to come to play them at home. Plus they threatened the NCAA with discrimination? religious freedom? or something that tied their hands. Plus with the beating they had been taking they didnt need another lawsuit they knew they were going to lose.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

There has been a number of FCS schools move up to G5..All but Liberty were invited into existing conferences. I am not seeing that as a restraint of trade action. I don't think the MVFC or the Big Sky want to all move up at the same time.
    When past conference openings occurred and Liberty applied, they had documented cases of ADs and Conferences directly telling them they would never be admitted due to their religious views. That gave them pretty strong ammo to use. Liberty has deep pockets, but even there the economics of buying games to put together a home schedule didn't work long term. That plus access to the CFP is why they eventually joined a conference.

Basically every FBS school outside Notre Dame is now joining conferences, and the Irish are an ACC affiliate with a very unique status.