Page 1410 of 1411 FirstFirst ... 4109101310136014001408140914101411 LastLast
Results 14,091 to 14,100 of 14107

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Its not clear to me how badly AAC wants AFA, or vice versa, but clearly those conversations happened in the past and are happening again. I'm not sure its a great fit geographically, but could be good for the American brand to have all 3 service academies.

Find it hard to believe that the MWC TV deal won't take a hit given the departure of their top 4 schools. Perhaps with inflation factored in, the media companies will agree to just keep it the same as before. Typically you would expect more schools to equal a higher media payout, because that provides more content and markets. But if adding more schools dilutes the payout to where existing members make less, obviously that can change how they view things.

Like all FBS reshuffles, this will come down to the money. The media companies control the money, and thus where everyone lands.
    The MW media deal was not based upon who was in the conference. It was based upon late night time slots. There will be interest from more than one provider to get that content. I don't expect a bigger contract but I don't think there will be a significant drop off. It is a very modest deal to begin with. The good thing is the remaining schools are getting boatloads of cash which covers a lot of shortfalls. Of course, any added schools will not be getting that dough. The media deal may be smaller but having fewer teams means a bigger cut of that pie. No Boise carve out either. Plus, there are millions of dollars in basketball credits to be split among fewer schools. The overall distribution will be going up nicely.

It is weird to lose some schools but the stupidity of OSU?Wazzu blowing their war chest to add G5 schools has really provided a financial boost to the MW. I can't see the MW having more than 9 when all is said and done.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Sports are the front porch (see: Chapman). He was correct; they are for alumni connection and student recruiting.
    Given the available students to recruit, the Dakotas will always be at disadvantage to Texas and Calilfornia.
    Boise and Washington State have been active presences in the upper Midwest recruiting for several cycles.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Like all FBS reshuffles, this will come down to the money. The media companies control the money, and thus where everyone lands.
    Much truth.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Definitely. Only thing that would make it worse is if they were called Texas State University Stephenville. They’d probably be in the B12 by now.

I cannot describe how little people care about any school below SEC or B12. SMU gets about as much following in DFW as NDSU does in Minneapolis.

I would say the pecking order on the Dallas side of DFW is as follows. It really is college football Mecca.

TAMU
    UT
    TTU
    Baylor
    Houston
    SMU
    TCU

The Oklahoma schools
    The rest of the SEC
    The rest of the B12

Rice
    UNT
    Texas State
    UTSA

…probably forgetting some…

UTEP
    Sammy

Media market essentially means nothing here because it’s national games only on local channels. The thought of anyone other than TAMU, UT, or TTU ever being on local channel is completely laughable. I have lived in Texas for 10 years and never heard one person say “Tarleton State” or “stephenville” out loud.
    I have also never heard tarelton state or seen it anywhere. I would add that arkansas is the most visible school in my area of dfw with tamu being a close second. Texas seems to be a bit more elite/rich and is less common around here. Smu/tcu basically only exist in their immediate neighborhoods.

I get the conferences idea about texas schools, but man. These 3rd/4th/5th teir schools literally have no following. I wouldn't be surprised if ndsu's fan base is 10x the size some of these schools being talked about. Saying they don't move the needle is an understatement. Most of these schools may well not exist as far as public recognition goes around here.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Twentysix View Post
    I have also never heard tarelton state or seen it anywhere. I would add that arkansas is the most visible school in my area of dfw with tamu being a close second. Texas seems to be a bit more elite/rich and is less common around here. Smu/tcu basically only exist in their immediate neighborhoods.

I get the conferences idea about texas schools, but man. These 3rd/4th/5th teir schools literally have no following. I wouldn't be surprised if ndsu's fan base is 10x the size some of these schools being talked about. Saying they don't move the needle is an understatement. Most of these schools may well not exist as far as public recognition goes around here.
    You're right, but yet the media networks seem to keep biting on the market concept again and again.

CUSA added Sammy and Kennesaw (Atlanta) over some others that would have had bigger fanbases. Kennesaw is somewhere around #5 or #6 in Atlanta, and has a tiny following. Georgia St (also Atlanta) doesn't put many butts in seats, yet are mentioned as a potential AAC backfill.

AAC added schools like Charlotte and UNT also based on "market" over some other possibilities like App St and Marshall in the last reshuffle.

B1G adding UCLA was sort of a "market" add also, not that impressive outside of location in football. Oregon St beat them, and was more competitive in PAC, but got left behind. Looked like more butts in seats the games I watched also.

Its dang near crazy, yet the behavior pattern has persisted across all levels of FBS, largely based on location/market DMAs.
    Last edited by BigHorns; Yesterday at 11:23 PM.

You're right, but yet the media networks seem to keep biting on the market concept again and again.

CUSA added Sammy and Kennesaw (Atlanta) over some others that would have had bigger fanbases. Kennesaw is somewhere around #5 or #6 in Atlanta, and has a tiny following. Georgia St (also Atlanta) doesn't put many butts in seats, yet are mentioned as a potential AAC backfill.

AAC added schools like Charlotte and UNT also based on "market" over some other possibilities like App St and Marshall in the last reshuffle.

B1G adding UCLA was sort of a "market" add also, not that impressive outside of location in football. Oregon St beat them, and was more competitive in PAC, but got left behind. Looked like more butts in seats the games I watched also.

Its dang near crazy, yet the behavior pattern has persisted across all levels of FBS, largely based on location/market DMAs.
    IMO it’s because the media can turn around and sell those markets to their advertisers. Doesn’t matter about who is actually watching or follows said team. Sell the potential over and over and over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think one thing that people have mistaken, though, is that media markets only matter if you’re strong enough to get on local network TV in your own market. It’s abundant if you’re a P4 school but G6 and below it’s non-existent.

I’m not sure the conferences that have taken them would consider SHSU, FAU, FIU, etc. to be a raging success. Compare that to the GSU, App, JMU, coastal Carolina additions that the sun belt has made that brought them back from the brink.

That’s the path to success as a G5 conference.
    Mountain West, hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    I think one thing that people have mistaken, though, is that media markets only matter if you’re strong enough to get on local network TV in your own market. It’s abundant if you’re a P4 school but G6 and below it’s non-existent.

I’m not sure the conferences that have taken them would consider SHSU, FAU, FIU, etc. to be a raging success. Compare that to the GSU, App, JMU, coastal Carolina additions that the sun belt has made that brought them back from the brink.

That’s the path to success as a G5 conference.
    100% agree and I imagine that if you get a program like NDSU on more regional and national TV, even lower networks you’d get an entire Midwest following because their school doesn’t have the same level exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Twentysix View Post

It's more about the coaches being able to go into the state to recruit and tell them they'll get a game or two in Texas if they go there. Let's say NDSU was in the MWC asking with 1 or 2 Texas schools, I bet the Bison get a couple extra Texas kids each year.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    It's more about the coaches being able to go into the state to recruit and tell them they'll get a game or two in Texas if they go there. Let's say NDSU was in the MWC asking with 1 or 2 Texas schools, I bet the Bison get a couple extra Texas kids each year.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Im loling just imagining a mountain west coach thinking to himself “man we could’ve gotten that kid if only we had Tarleton in our conference”
    Mountain West, hope for the best.