Page 1411 of 1411 FirstFirst ... 411911131113611401140914101411
Results 14,101 to 14,108 of 14108

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Im loling just imagining a mountain west coach thinking to himself “man we could’ve gotten that kid if only we had Tarleton in our conference”
    I still don't know what city and state Tarlton State is from. If I don't know, recruits won't know. If anything a recruit will become sad when he realizes he will play teams like Tarlton State.

Meanwhile NDSU and South Dakota State will be playing a meaningful game on ESPN and the game once hosted College GameDay

Guarantee any recruit will be more impressed by us

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I never heard of Tarlton State. Are they FCS?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Im loling just imagining a mountain west coach thinking to himself “man we could’ve gotten that kid if only we had Tarleton in our conference”
    It's a lot more impactful than thinking the media market of Texas is a reason for getting a school like Tarleton. Ball State and Indiana State get very little attention from the Indy media unless it's a local kid or they have an exceptional season (i.e. see ISU baseball and basketball in the last year). You wouldn't add those schools because of the Indy media market. But you would if you wanted to recruit Indiana HS basketball. This is a G6 and possibly FCS consideration. Media market is more of an issue for P4. A big reason for Maryland and Rutgers was being able to add the B1G network to more cable networks in NYC and DC. That was huge revenue for them.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think one thing that people have mistaken, though, is that media markets only matter if you’re strong enough to get on local network TV in your own market. It’s abundant if you’re a P4 school but G6 and below it’s non-existent.

I’m not sure the conferences that have taken them would consider SHSU, FAU, FIU, etc. to be a raging success. Compare that to the GSU, App, JMU, coastal Carolina additions that the sun belt has made that brought them back from the brink.

That’s the path to success as a G5 conference.
    While I agree with you in principle, it seems like only SBC is following that pattern thus far.

AAC could have had its pick of SBC schools in the last round, and passed on all of them. AAC and their markets still have a larger payout for now. Its rumored that ESPN effectively told them who to add based on those markets to maintain their payout. At least for AAC and PAC they are trying to play the media market game.

I still like our odds of joining MWC when all the dust settles. It will take a little time, because PAC and AAC will make their moves first. If we can't get into MWC or MAC somehow, then I'm afraid we are stuck until another major reshuffle, perhaps if P4 splits entirely and shakes things up.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    While I agree with you in principle, it seems like only SBC is following that pattern thus far.

AAC could have had its pick of SBC schools in the last round, and passed on all of them. AAC and their markets still have a larger payout for now. Its rumored that ESPN effectively told them who to add based on those markets to maintain their payout. At least for AAC and PAC they are trying to play the media market game.

I still like our odds of joining MWC when all the dust settles. It will take a little time, because PAC and AAC will make their moves first. If we can't get into MWC or MAC somehow, then I'm afraid we are stuck until another major reshuffle, perhaps if P4 splits entirely and shakes things up.
    There are no available large market schools for the MW to chase. I really don't have any idea what the criteria they are seeking might be. Do schools moving up from FCS have to do a probationary period? I know about the 5 million dollar move up fee but where does that money go? Have any FCS schools moved up as football only? Would you be interested in football only.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    There are no available large market schools for the MW to chase. I really don't have any idea what the criteria they are seeking might be. Do schools moving up from FCS have to do a probationary period? I know about the 5 million dollar move up fee but where does that money go? Have any FCS schools moved up as football only? Would you be interested in football only.
    UC Davis and Sacramento St would be market adds imo. They don't make much sense outside of that.

I don't know how much value those markets actually bring, or if MW contract would be impacted either way.

I think NDSU is very well positioned to join MWC, but don't have a crystal ball or inside details on how those decisions work. You seem to have had a lot of other thoughts. The $5m FBS fee goes to NCAA coffers. There is a 2 year transition period. The reclassification only applies to football, all the other sports are already full D1. Football has two sub-classifications in D1, and might add a third soon.

Davis makes sense if they want it. Whether they do or not, idk. Sleeping little giant there.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    I never heard of Tarlton State. Are they FCS?
    Mediocre D2 school that’s trying to use Texas hype to microwave an FBS program. Word on the street is they’re probably the next vial of blood for CUSA to crack open when MW or sun belt comes in and steals their life force.
    Mountain West, hope for the best.